Do you want to add a bit of whimsy and personality to your child’s room without breaking the bank? Try making these personalized silhouette pillows. These pillows make a big statement in any room.
Canvas drop cloth
Pillow inserts or Polyfil stuffing
A couple of sharpie permanent markers
Sewing supplies/ sewing machine
Silhouette Templates (These can be found all over the internet. Mine came from Arthur’s Clip Art and Martha Stewart’s Website. You can find all kinds of free templates and silhouettes to fit any theme imaginable by doing a simple google search. For example, try “Guitar Free Silhouette”.)
1. Wash the canvas drop cloth, tumble dry low, and iron.
2. Cut the canvas fabric into two pieces (front and back) to cover your pillow form or cut to your desired size, leaving a couple of inches for the seam allowance.
3. Carefully cut the silhouette templates out, remembering that you will be using the outside of the pattern as your guide, not the inside shape that you are cutting out.
4. Tape the silhouette into place on the fabric, then, using a sharpie marker, trace the silhouette on the the fabric. Make sure that your are protecting the surface under your project with scrap paper. Remove the pattern and fill in the silhouette with the marker, changing markers as the markers start to feel “dry”.
5. After you are finished transferring the designs to the canvas, sew up three edges of the pillow case, insert the pillow form or stuffing, and hand stitch the last edge of the pillow case together.
If you liked this project, check out these other tutorials: