Birthdays are milestones that should be celebrated, no matter your age! Make decorating and celebrating your family’s birthdays easy and personal with this adorable birthday banner, complete with wallet sized photos celebrating birthdays past, milestone events, and precious memories.
Cardstock or thick scrapbook paper. (You will need 7 sheets of 8.5×11 cardstock or 5 sheets of 12×12 thick scrapbook paper for the background banner pieces)
Coordinating Scrapbook Paper for the letters and picture mats
Twine (from your local craft store or Amazon.com-see link at the bottom of this post)
Tiny Clothespin Pins (from your local craft store or Amazon.com- see link at the bottom of this post)
6 to 12 Wallet-Sized Photos
Photo Safe Glue or Mounting Squares
Printable Letter Templates:
Print your [Block Letters for “Boy’s” Banner] Template
Print your [Script Letters for “Girl’s” Banner] Template
1. Cut out the background banner shape template. Use the template to trace the shape onto your cardstock paper. You will need to cut out 13 shapes for the separated banner (as shown in the pictures) or 14 shapes if you want one long banner with one blank shape in between the words.
2. Cut out the letters. Lay your scrapbook paper face down, then lay the cut out letter black side down onto the scrapbook paper (the letter will be backwards). Trace the letter and cut out the letter. Please note that you will need to use several letter templates twice (two P’s, two A’s, two Y’s).
3. Glue the letters onto the background pieces.
4. Cut small “mats” out of coordinating scrapbook paper for your photos. My mats are 3 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. Glue or mount the photos onto the mats with photo safe products.
5. Cut your twine. I used one 4 foot piece and one 7 foot piece. If you are making one long banner, one 11 foot piece will be long enough to give you some “goof” room and you can cut it to your desired length when you are done.
6. Pin your letters to the twine. Find the middle point of your twine by folding it in half. Starting with the middle letter on your banner (1st P for happy, H for birthday, or I for the whole banner), clip the letter to the middle of your twine using two tiny clothespins. Finish the word, then work backwards from the middle of the word to complete the word.
7. Arrange the photos around the letters, pinning them to the twine with the same pins that are holding up the letters or with additional pins if desired.
8. You are now ready to hang your banner in the desired location!
9. When you are done with your banner, disassemble the banner and store in a container or bag to be used next year.
These banners would also make adorable decorations at a wedding shower, baby shower, or any other special occasion. If you want to make your own saying, you can create your own word templates by going to Canva, a free online program. Choose “More” under “Create a Design”, then scroll down to “Documents” and choose “A4”. This will allow you to create a printable document. Choose the text that you want and create your saying. You may have to print a page or two and experiment before you get the perfect letter size.
I would love to hear about how you make and use this DIY Photo Birthday Banner. Please scroll down to comment, or if you have an questions.